Established in 1931, Leader & Watt in 2017, is one of the oldest remaining
Palmerston North retail business trading under the same name.
Founded by Electricians Horace Cecil Watt (‘Hoppy’ or ‘Hop’) and Syd Leader
With the rear of Horace’s mother’s garage at 8 Carroll Street as their base they
cycled around Palmerston North looking for any building alterations.
Enthusiasm, perseverance, and determination to succeed began to pay off and the
bicycles were put aside and motor cycles with black sidecars emblazoned with
yellow lettered “Leader & Watt – Everything Electrical” were used.
Leader & Watt soon gained a reputation for being competent electricians with fair
charge out rates and work became more consistent. They purchased 1928 Model
T Ford Trucks and shifted out of 8 Carroll Street to Rangitikei Street where they
shared premises with an undertaker
Another two changes in premises in Rangitikei Street saw Leader & Watt settle into
premises at 130 Rangitikei Street, still on the eastern side, premises which would
become their base for the next 40 years.
The company now employed extra staff. Syd looked after the electrical contracting
side and overseeing electrical installations. Hop took responsibility for the
electrical servicing, repairs, buying, office and the retail shop.
Hop Watt early in the company’s history realized that by purchasing in quantity a
more competitive price resulted and reflected in what the customer was required to
pay. Leader & Watt joined with other major retailers and formed a buying group.
This practice continues into the 21st century with the Company’s associated with
the 100% Buying Group.
Leader & Watt have trained and qualified servicemen continually on the road
meeting the needs of customers. Following the sale of a new appliance, Leader &
Watt deliver, unpack, install, demonstrate and take away the packing and the old
appliance for recycling.
In August 1978 the company moved across the road to its current site Rangitikei
157-165 to Street to and the many divisions were brought under on roof.
Retail shops were opened in Foxton, Feilding, Marton (1983) Dannevirke (1984)
and Levin (1986) created a multi store organisation which had visibility and buying
power and to ensure the company’s stability into the future.
In 2010 the contracting section was sold and now trades under the name LWE